Institute of Adult Education in Helsinki
- Online https://helao.fi/en/home
- By emailing email@example.com. Please include the following information: full name, date of birth, address, phone number and email address. Your registration is not valid until you receive a confirmation from the office
- At the office on Runeberginkatu 22–24
Course registration is binding. By registering for a course the student accepts that the course can be changed from contact teaching to remote teaching.
You need a finnish social security number when registering online. If you do not have one, please contact the office. You will receive a confirmation of the registration and a payment link both on the display and by e-mail. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail even though you have given your e-mail address, there may have been a mistake in your e-mail address. Your registration is nevertheless valid.
- Course fees must be paid in connection with registering. If needed, you can contact the office to set a new due date.
- Payment in the office: bank or credit card (Diners Club International, Discover, Eurocard, Maestro, Mastercard, OK, VISA ja VISA Electron) and physical or electronic vouchers such as Edenred, Eazybreak, ePassi, Smartum, TYKY-setelit, or virikesetelit.
- Payment online: online bank, credit card, MobilePay, Edenred, Eazybreak, ePassi and Smartum online payment
- If your employer is paying for your course, a billing fee of 5 Euros will be charged.
Sports and Culture vouchers
Sports vouchers can be used as a means of course payment for sports and dance courses. Culture vouchers are accepted for all courses except for language, wine or food courses. Course fee paid by sports and culture vouchers cannot be returned. You can arrange for the course fee to be paid once it has been confirmed that the course will start.
Discount on course fees is granted only on supported courses marked with OPH. Discount is granted to immigrants (not asylum seekers), those suffering from learning disabilities, the unemployed, senior citizens (those over 63 years of age) and pensioners. Those in full-time employment are not eligible for discount.
- A course can be cancelled by visiting or contacting the office by email firstname.lastname@example.org. The paid course fees can be refunded on following conditions:
- If you cancel a course 7 days before the course is due to start, the paid course fee will be refunded in full.
- If you cancel a course 7 days before the course is due to start, and you have paid the course fee by Culture and Sports vouchers Smartum, Tyky or Edenred, the course fee cannot be refunded. Instead, you can use the sum to pay for another course. If the course is paid by using ePassi we can return the balance into your account, if the cancellation occurs within the year the course fee has been paid. If the cancellation occurs the following year the balance can be used for another similar course.
- If you cancel a course less than 7 days before the course is due to start or do not show up, the course fee will be charged in full. Course fees are collectible.
- If the Institute cancels the course before it is due to start, the paid course fee will be refunded in full. The course will start if the minimum of participants have registered 2 working days before the course is due to start.
- If the Institute is forced to discontinue contact teaching due to a force majeur, the course will continue as remote teaching. If remote teaching is not possible, the course will be reprogrammed to another occasion or terminated. If the course is terminated, the Institute will not refund the paid course fees, but instead, the student can use the paid course fee for another course.
- If the student will discontinue the course, the paid course fee will not be refunded.
- See cancellation policy for Open University courses.
Notifications and Newsletter
- By registering for the course you give the institute permission to send notifications concerning your course by sms or by email. We’ll also send you the next term’s printed course programme by mail.
- By subscribing to our newsletter we’ll send you actual information on registrations, promotions and events at the institute. You can unsubscribe from the mailing list anytime.
- There can be changes in the programme, please check the latest details on https://helao.fi/en/home/.
- The length of each lesson is 45 minutes.
- Lessons are not held on public holidays.
- The Institute does not provide insurance for the students.
- The Institute is not in charge of students’ belongings or property. The Institute does not provide locked or guarded areas for clothing or property.
- The supplies for courses are not included in the course fee. You can purchase such supplies from your instructor during the course.
- In general, the language of instruction is Finnish. In many courses, the teacher is also able to instruct in English or some other language. Please contact Study guidance to find out the main language of instruction.
Sports and Dance courses
- You can participate in certain courses by using Zoom application. Remote access is available after receiving an email link from the teacher.
- The sports and dance venues have the necessary course gear, unless the course introduction informs otherwise.
- Students can substitute absence from their own class according to their teacher’s instructions. Read more here.
- Check the Skill Level Description (in Finnish) here.
- Please buy the coursebook just after the first lessons, because receiving coursebooks by foreign publishers can take up to 1-2 weeks if ordered from online bookstores and even up to 5 weeks if ordered from bookstores.
Tax free employer benefit
- If you are interested in the possibility to pay for your language course by using a tax free benefit provided by your employer, read more here (in Finnish).
- The study platform used is Moodle (http:// moodle.helao.fi) or Zoom. Before the course starts you will receive a username and password via e-mail. Online courses require basic IT skills.
Installing an account and creating a user code
Please install an account or create user code before the course starts in case it is instructed on the course description.
Students may request a certificate of attendance from the Institute’s office. If the course has ended more than a year before a certificate is requested, the fee is 10 €. Certificates will be sent to students by post.
Proficiency level grades are given at the end of the course to those students whose course has been accepted by the Employment and Economic Development office as self-motivated study that is part of their integration programme. Other students can receive a certificate of participation upon request.
We arrange teaching according to the instrutions of the Finnish authorities. We follow the instructions concerning safe distance and face masks as well as maintain the increased level of cleaning of our facilities. Read more on https://helao.fi/en/home/.
Tel: 09 41 500 300 | email@example.com
Institute address: Runeberginkatu 22-24, 00100 Helsinki